The Mission of Boys & Girls Clubs of Porter County is to inspire and enable the youth of our communities to realize their full potential as productive, responsible, and caring citizens.
To accomplish our mission, we practice a set of principles which reinforces:
- A sense of competence – the feeling there is something boys and girls can do well.
- A sense of usefulness – the opportunity for kids to do something of value for other people.
- A sense of belonging – the Club is a setting where kids know they have a place where they “fit” and are accepted.
- A sense of power or influence – a chance for boys & girls to be heard and to influence decisions.
When these principles are fully implemented, the self esteem of boys & girls is enhanced and an environment is created which helps them achieve their full potential.
Overview of Organization
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Porter County is a private, not-for-profit organization.
We are a member of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, which is a nationwide affiliation of 2,800 local, autonomous Club organizations that work to help young people of all backgrounds develop the qualities they need to become responsible citizens and leaders.
We are a United Way of Porter County agency, are facility-based, and offer year-round access to a broad range of programs.
Incorporated in 1970, we have facilities located in Valparaiso, South Haven, Portage, and Chesterton. We also provide a before- and after- school child care program in nine school sites covering three different school corporations. This program is called Kidstop. We currently have over 5,300 members, and average over 900 participants on a daily basis. At our sites, we have full sized gymnasiums, gamesrooms, and teen centers; as well as learning centers, conference rooms, and computer labs. We have strong relationships with the local school corporations, and place heavy emphasis on educational programming.
Core Program Areas
- Education and Career Development
- Character and Leadership Development
- Health and Life Skills
- The Arts
- Sports, Fitness, and Recreation
- Specialized Programs
All Boys & Girls Clubs…
- Are for boys and girls
- Have full-time professional leadership
- Require no proof of good character
- Provide that any boy or girl can belong
- Are for all boys and girls of any race, religion, or ethnic culture
- Are facility-based
- Are non-sectarian
- Have a varied and diversified program structure
- Are guidance-oriented